Packet Optical Networking
- Combines Optical Fibre technology with IP/Ethernet Technology
- Provide traffic management and multiplexing features within any overall fibre or WDM connection
- May include Layer 2 networking features such as VLAN tagging
- May include service adaptation features such as for Legacy SDH & PDH conversion
- May include very low speed traffic management such as for telemetry
Packet optical connections can also be used to provided Leased Line connections operating at sub-wavelength rates typically at less than 10Gb/s.
Typically Packet optical platforms incorporate advanced traffic management, network monitoring, network protection and Add and Drop multiplexing.
Packet optical systems often provide support for legacy TDM and very low speed connections that are found in Utility networks. These are converted from their native Synchronous nature to modern packet switched service connections.
Utility industries often required connections for special devices such as pumps switches and sensors. Carrier features such as Synchronisation (for Mobile networks) are usually supported.
Each of these network features is combined onto Fibre and WDM connectivity systems for transmission to other network locations.
Packet switching technologies are usually found within Carrier networks where a wide range of service types need to be supported.
Sorrento Packet Networking Solutions
- GigaMux 4000 – WDM with Packet Networking